Obedience to God is one of, if not the most important things a Believer in Christ should have. One might ask, “Why?” Here are some very clear reasons that Obedience to God is important.
There are many people who believe that Obedience to God is not really all that big of a deal. After all, they’re saved by grace and therefore don’t need Obedience to God because it’s a work for them already done by Jesus when He died on the Cross for their sins.
To obey God means to trust Him and follow His commands throughout the Bible. Not just “obey” what He says when it is beneficial for you but also obey Him when following His commands will be extremely difficult or even cost your life. Obeying God can have many benefits, as well as some consequences if not carried out correctly. In either case, obedience to God brings glory to Himself as well as proves our love for Him, as Jesus states in John 14:15 , ” If ye love me, keep my commandments ” (KJV).
Benefits of Obeying God
The benefits of obeying God can be immense, such as;
- Gaining salvation in Heaven , avoiding the lake of fire (see Rev. 20:14-15 ).
- Receiving power from God to overcome sin and use spiritual gifts (1 Cor. 10:13 ).
- Obedience to God also brings peace and joy into life that no other thing can bring . This is because we know that we will go to Heaven and live with Christ forever where there will be no sorrow, misery, crying, or pain ( Rev. 21:4 ).
- Also through obedience to God we can become one body with other Believers and show love among each other for Jesus’ sake.
And if all these blessing weren’t enough, Obedience to God praises Him by acknowledging Him as our God and Creator (see Psalm 116:16-17 ).
Consequences of not Obeying God
We also need to take a look at some of the consequences of not obeying God. If we ignore His commands, there are many horrible things that will happen to us because of it.
- One consequence would be to allow Satan full rein in your life. He is much worse than any other person could ever be, even worse than Hitler or Nero who are believed by many to have been two of the worst people in history . The Bible states that Satan is “a roaring lion, walking about seeking whom he may devour” (1 Pet. 5:8). This signifies that if you do not obey God , then you are his food.
- Another consequence of disobedience to God is not only angering Him but also ignoring His warnings. He warns us in the Bible of many things that are against His will, yet some people refuse to obey these commands. Ignoring these instructions can have devastating results.
- The final end result of not obeying God is death. This may seem obvious, as it’s stated throughout the Bible , however many nonbelievers choose to ignore this end result. There are so many people who ignore what God says about eternal life with Christ because they think they’ll get another chance later on or because they don’t believe in Heaven or Hell at all. However, scripture clearly states that if you do not accept Jesus’ sacrifice for your sins by faith , then you will be condemned to eternal death (see John 3:18).
These are only some of the consequences of not obeying God.
Obeying God isn’t something we should take lightly; in fact, it is our duty as Christians to do so. It’s never easy and will always be difficult, but nothing worth having is ever easy to obtain in life. Remember that obedience to God in all things is absolutely necessary for successful Christian living and happiness.
You don’t have to work your way to Heaven. It’s a free gift of God, see also Romans 5:1-11, Eph 2:8-9. Thanks for reading. If You enjoy reading, kindly drop a comment below.