The Commonwealth is now awarding Commonwealth Professional Fellowship to individuals from developing nations who are eligible and qualified.
The Commonwealth Professional Fellowships provide fully-funded opportunities for professional researchers, including flights from the fellow’s home country to the UK and a monthly salary of £2,197.
Successful applicants will additionally get an arrival allowance of up to £972.59, as well as the usual visa application price.
This opportunity is hosted by the Commonwealth in the United Kingdom for all countries under it.
Eligibility for the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship
The following are the criteria needed to qualify for this fellowship;
- Be a citizen of an eligible Commonwealth country or have been granted refugee status by that country, or be a British Protected Person.
- Be a permanent resident of a Commonwealth country.
- Have at least five years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, relevant work experience in a profession linked to the subject of the Fellowship programme by the anticipated start date – volunteer work experience will not be counted towards this requirement.
- Be employed at the time of application at an organization where they intend to return after completing the Fellowship.
- Prospective Fellows will be asked to furnish at least two references if nominated for a Professional Fellowship (one of which must be from their current employer). If references are necessary, the CSC will contact prospective Fellows directly. When assessing a Fellow’s application, the Host organization may contact them to obtain a reference. Have not completed a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship in the last five years (at the time of taking up the award)
You should not be looking to start an academic research or study program. Academics are eligible to apply for the plan, but only to pursue academic management programs, not research or courses related to their research field.
- be available to begin and finish their fellowship within prescribed dates.
In addition to the foregoing, as a potential fellow, you must ensure that you meet any eligibility conditions established by your host organization.
Requirements to Apply for the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship
The following are needed to apply for the fellowship
- List all undergraduate and postgraduate university degrees earned (where applicable)
- List up to ten publications and awards (if applicable)
- Give details about your work history and explain how each job relates to the program you want to pursue in the UK (up to 100 words per employment)
- Make a statement on how your previous job experience relates to the proposed fellowship (up to 300 words)
- Provide a four-part development impact statement.
The fellowship provides;
- Return airfare from the fellow’s native country to the UK has been approved.
- The usual visa application fee will be reimbursed.
- Stipend (living allowance) of £1,782 per month (or pro rata) for the term of the award, or £2,197 per month for individuals working in the London metropolitan region (rates indicated at 2021/22 levels)
- The CSC will provide a complete assessment of needs and eligibility for additional financial support if a fellow declares a disability. More information can be found in the CSC disability support statement.
- Arrival allowance of up to £972.59 (based on current rates), including a component for warm clothing.
- A £1,000 travel allowance per fellow is provided for the Clean Energy, Air, and Oceans programme to support attendance at events (administered by host organisations)
- Host organizations can agree on a maximum of £3,000 per fellow for short courses/conferences as well as travel to other UK organizations where this is an intrinsic component of the program. Host organizations should keep in mind the limitations outlined in our claimable costs guidance.
All fellowships awarded in this round will be valid for three months beginning February 22nd.
How to Apply for the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship
To apply, please visit the online application system and submit your application by clicking on the button below.
Commonwealth Professional Fellowships are designed for mid-career professionals from low- and middle-income countries to spend time working in their field at a UK host organization as part of a professional development program.
The program’s goal is to allow professionals to improve their knowledge and skills in their respective fields while also having a catalytic influence on their workplaces.